This soup was modified from a recipe I found in the Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer, Marion Rombauer Becker, and Ethan Becker.
Ingredients: Serves 4-6
- 1-2 tablespoons of garlic infused oil
- 4 chopped scallions (green portion only)
- 5 pounds of broccoli cut into small to medium pieces
- 5 cups of vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup of white wine (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cream (substitute with lactose-free cream or omit if you cannot eat cream)
- Heat garlic infused oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add green portion of the scallion for 1-2 minutes until the scallions are softened.
- Add broccoli, broth or water, and wine if using.
- Stir together and bring to a boil. Once soup has reached a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Once the soup cools, blend soup (I recommend using an insertion blender) until the broccoli is blended, 1-3 minutes depending on the blender you are using.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cream and if bring to a simmer if eating it right away.