Soup Du Jour for Days
This past Friday in Boston, the temperature dropped and it snowed after an unseasonably warm start to the winter. The snow was heavy and wet, making driving and walking difficult; but from the inside of a warm and cozy home, it was beautiful to look at. It also made it the perfect day for a hot bowl of soup. Anyone who is on the low FODMAP diet or does not like onions or garlic knows how difficult it is to find a soup recipe without them. Fortunately there are creative and soup-hungry people out there fighting the fight and making or converting recipes so there is soup for all.
Below are some links to great low FODMAP soup recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup by Calm Belly Kitchen
- Chicken and Rice Soup with Turmeric by Kate Scarlata
- Carrot and Fennel Soup by A Little Bit Yummy
- Carrot and Coriander Soup by FODMAP Journey (Note: If you do not have a soup maker, bring soup to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Also, a knob is 2 tbsp.)
- Leek and Potato Soup by Epicurious (Note: Use leek leaves only)
- Creamy Roasted Pumpkin and Sage Soup by Not From a Packet Mix
- Bone Broth by FODMAP Life
One of my personal favorite soups that I adapted to be low FODMAP is the Hearty Lentil, Kale, and Potato soup originally created by Registered Dietician, Alexis of Hummusapien.
Hearty Lentil, Kale, and Potato Soup Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp of infused garlic oil (either store bought or prepare fresh (make sure to remove the garlic before using the oil)
- 3 scallions (green portion only)
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 4 cups vegetables broth + ½ cup water (another option: use 2 tbsp of miso paste and 4.5 cups of water
- Recipe for vegetable broth (use green portion of scallions instead of onions and use garlic infused oil in place of olive oil and garlic)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- 1 large potato, diced (about 1½ cups)
- ½ bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped finely (or half a bag of thawed from frozen kale)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat garlic infused oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add green portion of the scallion, celery and carrots and sauté until softened, about ten minutes.
- Add lentils, broth (or miso paste), water, salt, cumin, and coriander. Stir together and bring to a boil. Once soup has reached a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes and simmer, covered for 15 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add kale and simmer, covered for 5 more minutes, or until kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bon appétit and Stay Warm!