This past Friday in Boston, the temperature dropped and it snowed after an unseasonably warm start to the winter. The snow was heavy and wet, making driving and walking difficult; but from the inside of a warm and cozy home, it was beautiful to look at. It also made it the perfect day for a hot bowl of soup. Anyone who is on the low FODMAP diet or does not like onions or garlic knows how difficult it is to find a soup recipe without them. Fortunately there are creative and soup-hungry people out there fighting the fight and making or converting recipes so there is soup for all.
Below are some links to great low FODMAP soup recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup by Calm Belly Kitchen
- Chicken and Rice Soup with Turmeric by Kate Scarlata
- Carrot and Fennel Soup by A Little Bit Yummy
- Carrot and Coriander Soup by FODMAP Journey (Note: If you do not have a soup maker, bring soup to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Also, a knob is 2 tbsp.)
- Leek and Potato Soup by Epicurious (Note: Use leek leaves only)
- Creamy Roasted Pumpkin and Sage Soup by Not From a Packet Mix
- Bone Broth by FODMAP Life
One of my personal favorite soups that I adapted to be low FODMAP is the Hearty Lentil, Kale, and Potato soup originally created by Registered Dietician, Alexis of Hummusapien.
Hearty Lentil, Kale, and Potato Soup Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 tbsp of infused garlic oil (either store bought or prepare fresh (make sure to remove the garlic before using the oil)
- 3 scallions (green portion only)
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup dry green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 4 cups vegetables broth + ½ cup water (another option: use 2 tbsp of miso paste and 4.5 cups of water
- Recipe for vegetable broth (use green portion of scallions instead of onions and use garlic infused oil in place of olive oil and garlic)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- 1 large potato, diced (about 1½ cups)
- ½ bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped finely (or half a bag of thawed from frozen kale)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat garlic infused oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add green portion of the scallion, celery and carrots and sauté until softened, about ten minutes.
- Add lentils, broth (or miso paste), water, salt, cumin, and coriander. Stir together and bring to a boil. Once soup has reached a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes and simmer, covered for 15 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add kale and simmer, covered for 5 more minutes, or until kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bon appétit and Stay Warm!