chocolate-hazelnut-2

How to have your cake and it eat too?

Ever since I had to go wheat and fructose free I have appreciated how important it is to have a good dessert once in awhile. I have been at holiday dinners, birthday parties, weddings, and office events where I look on yearningly at the cake, ice cream, chocolate, [fill in the blank]. As I mentioned in a previous blog, A spoonful of sugar (does not) help the medicine go down, I am trying to give up sugar and 99% of the time I stay strong because I know it is not worth the next week or two of pain and discomfort. But for the other 1%, when I want something sweet, I want to do so with as little risk as possible.

Fortunately, with the unfortunate increase of food issues; restaurants, cafes, and bakeries are responding with food options that are safe, healthy and tasty. One place that I have found is Artisan Nut Cakes. The company had a table for a couple of weeks at my local farmers market and I was so excited when I saw the sign above the table reading “Gluten-free, Grain-free, & Dairy-Free”. The best part was when I actually tried samples of the cakes. The flavors were amazing and I could taste that all of the ingredients were natural, the texture was moist, and they were sweet without being too sweet. My husband, who does not have any digestive disorders and can eat anything he wants, (yes, I am jealous) also thought that the cakes were delicious and could not tell that they were gluten-free. I tried the olive oil pecan almond cake, the orange almond, and the chocolate hazelnut. They were all wonderful but my personal favorite was the chocolate hazelnut because I am partial to hazelnuts and yes, also chocolate. And luckily, eating the cake did not bother my stomach which was a nice surprise since servings of more than 20 almonds or hazelnuts have levels of oligosaccharides that potentially can cause problems for those with fructose malabsorption. This cake is a great option for anyone but especially those with celiac disease, fructose malabsorption, and lactose intolerance.

Artisan Nut Cakes takes orders online and according to their site “Because these cakes are made with nut flour and are dairy-free, they are naturally moist and stay fresh for 14 days at room temperature (76 °F or below) or 90 days with refrigeration.” This is perfect for cakes that need to be shipped and for when you do not want to wait until the last minute to order.  You can learn more about these flourless cakes from the Boston Globe.

Do you have bakeries you can recommend?

Photo taken from the Artisan Nut Cakes website

2 thoughts on “

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I got the orange chocolate (two of my favorite flavors) cake in the mail today, and it is delicious!! James said he couldn’t tell it was gfree either 🙂 Our wedding cake is going to be from Glutenus Minimus in Belmont – we were there a couple weeks back, everything was tasty.

    Like

    1. Caitlin – That is great that you and James enjoyed the cake. Thanks for recommending Glutenus Minimus. We have never been there but have heard good things about the bakery and they seem to have a broad range of products.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s